Tuesday, August 19, 2008

I'll show you mine, IF you show me yours.

The girl's father got married this summer. Their new step-mother's name is Dawnelle. She is very nice and sweet to my girls, and I appreciate her for that. Many times throughout courtship and engagement, Dawnelle has been selfless enough to watch the girls, feed the girls, bathe the girls, and even plan fun activities with the girls. It takes a special person to do this, and we are blessed to have her. However, I think we may need to ask a wee bit more of her in the near future...

You see, Berkeley came home with an interesting thought last night about Dawnelle, that I hadn't thought of before. (And I have thought deeply about potential questions that may come up...so I am ready!) But when Berk shot this one out...and I did not have a pre-rehearsed or even NATURAL response for her right away.

We were eating dinner and randomly she says to me:
"Mom, this isn't fair. Why does Dawnelle get to see our naked bodies, but we don't get to see hers?"

I must say, her point seemed quite valid. My first reaction was to possibly say "Well, because you are a child and she is an adult." But that isn't the right answer. That would teach her that if an adult wants to see her naked...she has to do so. So, then I thought, "Well, because she helps to take care of you when Daddy and Mommy aren't there." But...that would mean that ANYONE that is taking care of them (their friend's parents at a sleepover, for example) could see them naked too. That isn't okay with me either.

I mean, the girls ARE sharing something very private with her....why wouldn't she trust them with her body parts too? ( I giggle to myself.) Eventually I fumbled something out about how it doesn't seem fair, but that Dawnelle can be private if she wishes. And, I reassured Berkeley and McKenna that Dawnelle is trying to help them and she is someone who can be trusted...along with Daddy, Mommy, and Grandmas.


Deep down though, my twisted head was thinking...."Yah, Dawnelle! Fair is fair! Show the girls your TA-TA's!"

This one is going to come back and haunt me if I eventually marry a man with little girls of his own...isn't it? (LOL) Have a good day and I love you all!

7 comments:

Blaise Glaze said...

Tell her (maybe) that it is a parental duty to assist with cleaning.
Since Raven turned 7, unless he specifically asks, we just let him shower by himself.

Shebee said...

Savana is 6.5 yrs old and has been showering herself for a few months now.  She sometimes needs help with her hair (not so much now that we chopped it off). I rarelly ever see her naked except for the few whoopies in the pottie or if she needs something.  if she has an infection she even puts on her own medicine.  we are very open in our house, we run around in our undies, undress with the door open etc. but my kids know that they can ask for privacy and will get it every time.good luck

Melanie said...

Shebee...is that you Sheila? I miss you! You chopped off Savana's hair?

I am not saying that Berkeley doesn't shower herself, she does. But sometimes Dawnelle's sister will send home a bunch of hand-me-down clothes...and she has the girls try them on....so they can see what fits and get through the process quickly. Berkeley and McKenna have also bathed together on occassion when they are there.

I've explained it to Berk and we talked about always asking Mom if she doesn't know for sure who to trust. I feel good about it, but I think it is funny she thought of that!

We told her that Dawnelle is just trying to "keep her privates, private." This is what I am always trying to reinforce in my girls!

Thanks Blaise and Shebee for commenting! Love you both!

Carrie's Corner said...

Berk is sooo stinking cute and smart! Maybe you should just tell her to ask Dawnelle and let her deal with it! I always hate dealing with stuff like that and would pass it off so someone else! :0) Just kidding! No really, Mel, I thought your answer was great! And how lucky are you that they have a new step mom that loves them! Love you, Mel! Your kids are awesome.....must have a little of their mommy in them!!!

Cal said...

is that cat laying between butt cheeks?

Melanie said...

yes, it's hilarious, eh?

Julie said...

Hilarious, but also rather disturbing. Just saying.

By the way, you made me choke on my milk when I read "Show the girls your TA-TA's!".